Technopreneurship- Reflection for the movie "Pirates of the Silicon Valley "


Reflection 1- Pirates of the Silicon Valley Movie


There are three questions that were asked by our professor to do our reflection about the movie “Pirates of the Silicon Valley”. 

The first question is:

What are the factors that contributed to the success and failure of Steve Jobs as a Technopreneur?

            When we say apple or Macintosh, we already imagined the face of the founder Steve Jobs who died last year. Our favorite products which are Mac Books, IPads, IPhones and Mac Computers are some of the gadgets that Steve Jobs had shared to most of the people in the world. These gadgets cost a lot of money but if you dare to have these gadgets, you may not regret because these gadgets have a lot to offer for the costumers especially in its magnificent features that may took the eye of its users into a different dimension. As what I have observed, Steve Jobs or the Apple Company is really concerned on the design of the interface in their products. Unlike the Microsoft, they pursue the user friendly type of interface in their products like Windows operating system. Who would have thought that he didn’t finished his degree in college but instead he brought his career into a different level and became a technopreneur.

            Last 25th of June, all of us were assigned to watch the television movie based on the true-life visionaries whose battle to rule the fledgling computer empire changed the world which is the “Pirates of the Silicon Valley”. It focuses on the battle between rivals Steve Jobs of Apple Computer and Bill Gates of Microsoft. If you choose to know Steve Jobs or Bill Gates better, you must watch this movie so that you would acquire some knowledge and lessons about the past stories from their life being a technopreneur. So if you decide to know them right away, then read more to this article.  

            Steve Jobs is not an ordinary student as what some of the people expect. He didn’t finish his college because he started his business in an early stage of his life. The business that he started is not ordinary. This business was started from a scratch. In my own perception, this was one of the factors that contributed to his success. His business was to find another way how the ordinary people can also use computers by their selves because at their time only big companies like IBM or International Business Machines can only use computers for their own good. He persevered and found a solution to achieve what he wanted to do. Like other awesome humans, he was a risk-taker. He did all his best just to come up with his idea of his codes to be used in the computer that he wanted to build. As usual, he didn’t come up with good results at first. He tried and tried his best to come up with good results whatever he may encounter in his life. Being persevere was also the factor that contributed to his success.

            When he tried to introduce their product to a company, he wished that their product which was the personal computer would not be appealing to them. Because of his clever mind, the company that they visited declined to use their invention. He was so very happy to know that the company didn’t have the interest to take their invention and that leaded him to take that opportunity to make it more powerful and thought of building their own company to produce the personal computers. He also has this tendency of pushing his co-workers to their limits which, if became abusive, gives him the title of an encouraging superior or partner just like what he did to convince his friend, Steve Wozniak, to sell his invention by putting up their own business rather than giving it to other companies. He had a wider perspective in his life and this was also a great contribution to his career. Another factor that contributed to Steve Jobs’ success was how he charms and manipulates possible investors to deliver his business and convince people to buy his product which I think is also the reason why Apple hired him back.

            Steve Jobs experienced a lot of failure moments when he was still in the Apple Company. Steve was fired because he had an attitude of being an abusive boss. Why? Because he turned like a monster that he cannot control his rage and didn’t know the right thing to do and all he did was to be an abusive boss that made his co-workers to stay away from him. In my own observation, this attitude of being an abusive boss wouldn’t occur if he did the right thing. The right thing that he must do was to sustain the daily needs of his family and accept the fact that he had a daughter named Lisa from his girlfriend. When the time that his girlfriend needed some help to sustain the daily needs of his daughter which cost a money worth $20000, he declined to help  because he was consumed of his anger to his girlfriend and wouldn’t accept the fact that he had a daughter in his life.  All he wanted to do was to pursue his career and be a powerful man in his time. And lastly, his problem was he was succumbed by power that is why maintaining his success was the challenge for Steve Jobs.

            Because of his hunger for power, he made a team named Apple and Macintosh. He was so consumed with his anger that leaded the two teams to clash with each other and that made the whole company suffer a massive failure performances and it almost thorn the Apple Company down apart. Another factor that made him failed was the trick of Bill Gates. Bill planned to trick him because he wanted to use Steve’s prototype of his computer. Bill used this trick to make another prototype for his invention. He also planned to use the technology from the Xerox Company which was the mouse system and the graphical user interface. Aside from that, all he wanted to do was to create another operating system that would surely be different than the Apple Company did. He was been successful for convincing Steve Jobs to give his prototype from Macintosh and it leaded him to create a wonderful operating system that almost all the people are using at the present time. Windows operating system from Microsoft was a bit different compared to the operating system of Macintosh. Macintosh is a lot concerned to the graphical user interface of the computer while Microsoft is concerned to the functionality and the friendly-user style of their operating systems.  

The second question is this:

How do you see yourself as a technopreneur?

            As I answer this question, let me first define the word Technopreneur. Obviously, the main root words are the words technology and entrepreneur.  As what the online encyclopedia or Wikipedia.com said, the technology is the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a preexisting solution to a problem, achieve a goal or perform a specific function. It can also refer to the collection of such tools, machinery, modifications, arrangements and procedures. The human species' use of technology began with the conversion of natural resources into simple tools. The prehistorically discovery of the ability to control fire increased the available sources of food and the invention of the wheel helped humans in travelling in and controlling their environment. Recent technological developments, including the printing press, the telephone, and the Internet, have lessened physical barriers to communication and allowed humans to interact freely on a global scale. However, not all technology has been used for peaceful purposes; the development of weapons of ever-increasing destructive power has progressed throughout history, from clubs to nuclear weapons.

            And let us not forget the meaning of the root word entrepreneur from the word technopreneur. From Wikipedia.com, an entrepreneur is an enterprising individual who builds capital through risk and/or initiative. The term was originally a loanword from French and was first defined by the Irish-French economist Richard Cantillon. Entrepreneur in English is a term applied to a person who is willing to help launch a new venture or enterprise and accept full responsibility for the outcome. Jean-Baptist Say, a French economist, is believed to have coined the word "entrepreneur" in the 19th century - he defined an entrepreneur as "one who undertakes an enterprise, especially a contractor, acting as intermediately between capital and labour".

            A combination of these two words will come up with a good and better result. Technopreneur aims to provide you with, the latest information on new, emerging Internet technology trends, sifting the hype from business reality. You will get the inside track on all things Internet technology that will impact your business tremendously. Business and technology are almost always entwined. Evolution of technology inadvertently leads to evolution in business as what technopreneur.wordpress.com said.

            For me, being a technopreneur in the near future would be a challenging one. This might take me into a wider perspective in my life. To be frank, being an entrepreneur that involves technology would be a hard thing for me to deal with. Technologies that would be invented in the future would be interesting for me. For this reason, I would be glad if I would be a technopreneur someday. I would see that if I would become a technopreneur, I would sell lots of good things that would cost lots of money. The technology that I would really love to sell is for each house in our country. For example, I would think for a better solution to fight insect or pesky animals that lived in each house of our neighbors. This would be a perfect solution. As what my imagination said, these problems might be solved if I could make the insect repelling and pest killer combined in just one device and this would be the “Digital Insect and Pests Repelling Laser”. Ordinary pests and insect repelling might cost a lot of money and sometimes it could take a long period for us just to kill them inside our house. This technology would be really appealing to the community.

            To further explain this technology, it would look like an air conditioner and would be placed in each room you want. The system would have a remote control so that you could always adjust all of the functionalities in this device. When you program the laser to kill the pest you want. You will just click the choices in the remote control. These choices are insect or pesky animal. When you try to click pesky animal button, the device’s system would use a laser light that would kill any pests that are currently inside the area where this device is placed. And same as when you press the button for insect, all of the annoying insects would be killed thoroughly. You can also bring it to any rooms you want and press the schedule button if you want this device to automatically work in the right time just in case that there would be some insects or pesky animal that would try to hurt you and your family. This technology is eco-friendly and not harmful to the human’s body. The laser light would not harm any human but will always harmful to those insects or pesky animals in your house.  

            Sometimes, being a technopreneur is not an ordinary thing to deal with. Of course, you would try to please all the people to convince them to buy your technology that you invented. For me, if I would sell that machine or device, it would take a long time just to make that technology more appealing and more functional to bring your costumers buy all of your inventions. If I might able to do that, I might experience the life of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. The life that’s fool of hardships and full of stressful moments. As a technopreneur, I must also consider the situation that there will be an instance that there’s someone who may steal my concept or ideas.

            To continue, being a technopreneur in the near future would be risky. If I would have the courage to pursue being an entrepreneur, I will have to have a more business-suited attitude which means I have to wipe out my habit of being overdue and I should really try to practice managing big responsibilities. Next, I have to enhance my creativeness and innovative thinking in order to create saleable ideas. Technopreneurs are entrepreneurs who are into the core businesses involving technology-based industries. They make use of technology to come out with new or innovative products through a process of commercialization.

The last question is this:

Would you take the same career path as Steve Jobs took? Why or why not?

            Steve Jobs has done a great contribution to the world. He did this by creating a prototype that made the computers achieved the goal to be with the people who wants them. He did this when he was on his young age. For me, I would think that I may take the same career path as what Steve Jobs took. But if it involves technologies like creating computer operating systems, I would choose to go the graphics side.

            To continue my answer, let me first share to you what are the things that happened to me throughout the days of being a college student. During my college days, I am always assigned to handle to create graphics for my classmates, professor and even in our subjects and extracurricular activities. One of the best parts that happened to my life when I belong to the graphics team in our practicum or on the job training that happened a month ago. I was assigned to edit some of the pictures that are currently being used by our university site.

            I was also commanded by my adviser to create some of the banners to be used in different pages in the university site. That was a bit challenging for me because there were times that my adviser didn’t like my designs and the graphics that I have used was not enough to sustain what he really wanted. And that thing leaded me to persevere and I made some time to examine and search what would be the effective type of designs that would be pleasing to the eyes of my adviser. I researched all the possible things that could help my design for banners to be more appealing. Some of these banners that I have created were for the different college’s sites like College of Arts and Sciences where the Biology, Statistics, Mathematics, Literature and AB language students are. Their banners must have to be like a prehistoric image, has an icon of sciences and art works to define the college’s courses with the use of it.  In the college of education, this was the very tiring and the most pressuring banner that I have done. The college’s dean was very strict with their website and all they wanted to see was the phrase “Center of Excellence in Teacher Education”. And they even dare to change the standards that had been already implemented just to show that phrase in the header side of the website. So, the students that were assigned to the college of education proposed an alternative way just to put the phrase “Center of Excellence in Teacher Education” continuously inside the website. They suggested that what if the banners would be the one to serve as the image to show the college’s phrase simultaneously.

            I also wanted to create the banners for our own institution. I volunteered to create the Institute of Computing banners. At first I thought that my ideas for the banners were perfect to suite the design for the institute of computing. But I was wrong. My adviser had a little complain on what my design was. So I changed my designs immediately and come up with nicer banners.  So far, all the banners that I have already redesign was approved by our adviser. The College of Technology was a bit easier for me because I have the idea already on what would be the design for the banner. The design that came to my mind was the technological style like gears and metals. They are suitable for the CT banners that I have created.

            As what I have observed in the movie, I slowly realized that I really hated Steve Jobs for his manner and temperament. But he is a sort of a guy that shows an idea that can be great if you will start to work and create. He is a great example that even a person didn’t graduate college or didn’t have a degree can be wealthy, instigate others, and have a mark in the history of mankind. He is truly a technoprenuer, I saw in some sites in the internet telling that he was the father of technoprenuership and I believe in that. I did say no for his outcome because I don’t want the kind of failure he has gone through. He has the best path of success to consider but his failure was not his business or his idea or even his team but it was him. I will not imitate and show off bad influence, attitude, and approach that he showed the people around him. This would therefore be against the principles of technopreneurship. What Steve Jobs did to his employees is he managed them, which is wrong. As a good employer, we should lead them, the employees, to better build a bond, build a team, and together become successful. No one should leave anyone behind. We must always look back although we have gained all the goals and success that we want in our lives, in short always put ourselves on the ground because everyone starts there. We as being an technopreneur, we must possess the good character and relationships between our employees in order for us not to be broken down and fail because of our bad relationship towards our employees.  But I will follow the positive characteristics and develop myself, the skills that Steve Jobs have. I’m inspired of what Steve Jobs positive characteristics and Technopreneurial skills. But as for now, I must study hard and give the best that I could in different subjects so that I will graduate in this course and have a better degree than others.

            If ever I would be given the chance to begin my own career I would really do my very best not to meet the troubles and circumstances that Steve Jobs had back in his old days. I would never be consumed by power but as an alternative it will try to stay my feet on the ground. I will really encourage and move forward my employees to do their best in a way that is not abusive but instead being helpful and being a religious person.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment